Wednesday, May 28, 2008

There are more benefits to going for a dental treatment than meets the untrained eye. To name a few:

1. You tend to get closer to your family your mother, brother and your sister-in-law because it scares the hell out of you,

2. You tend to get more devoted to God because it scares the hell out of you, and,
3. You learn to handle stress because basically, it scares the hell out of you.

It all started on a Tuesday afternoon while having my lunch when I suddenly realized that half of my tooth was missing. And in its place there is a mushy ugly sensation that feels like my gum. Blessed as I am with an unfaltering instinct, I immediately came to know that its time to hit the dentists for the first time in my life.

As such, bravery is the second nature of a Sinha. But as they say when it comes to dental emergencies, the bravest of the braves give way to their natural instincts. Something of the sort happened to me that evening as I was going for the initial checkup with a dentist of decent fame in the circles of IT Companies (he was suggested by a colleague).

Dr. Gupte turned out to be an ok looking man in his 30s and this, so to say, sent shivers down my spine. I'll tell you why it sent shivers down my spine. There is something about these ok looking men in their 30s that makes them jealous of handsome looking men in their 20s, such as me. And this made me a little skeptic in trusting him with my dental insides. But it is what it is and I let him go ahead with the checkup.

Dr Gupte:Looks like a big cavity

Me (trying to look intelligent):ahem

Dr Gupte:might go for a root canal

Me:ahem

Dr Gupte:There is another very small cavity in the front tooth. But its very small

Me (hating myself for eating chocolates):ahem

Silence

Me (hating myself again for sounding stupid):Does it hurt?

Dr Gupte (like a smiley sadist):It might hurt a little. Might

There is something about the way doctors sayit might hurt a little. It makes you feel as if its going to hurt big time. They cannot be trusted these doctors - especially of the dental variety. And so I decided that I will confirm the details with all my family members who have gone through it. I made some 20 odd phone calls that night.

Cousin of a friend:Root canal is a piece of cake. No pain at all. Tooth extraction, on the other hand, is very painful

Friend:they inject an anesthetic in your mouth, it doesn’t hurt at all.

Me: “WHAT?? they put a needle into your mouth? And you say it doesn’t hurt? What do I look like? porcupine eater?

The conversation in the other 20 calls went almost on similar lines. Except the ones that I dialed to my mom to tell her how much I missed her and if the tooth got bad and I don’t get to see her again, she can keep all my wealth which consists of a ball point pen and a notebook.

The next day was when I had the dooms appointment. I found myself biting my nails in the waiting lounge listening to the moans of an old lady in there for her tooth extraction. Every time I heard her cries, I thought of taking my money back. But before I could muster up the courage to do that, it was my turn already. I suddenly wanted to send some one else before me, but there was no one there and the Sinha pride was at stake. So there I was, sitting in the time machine type chair, waiting for the monster to slay me.

This is for the record: he did pierce a needle into my mouth. And yes porcupines taste better.

The next 45 minutes were almost eventless except for the 26th minute when Dr Gupte, while running a driller of sorts into my mouth, suddenly shoutedOH SHIT!!

Me:WHAT HAPPENED??

Dr Gupte:The band took off

Me:What does that mean? You will extract my tooth now?

Dr Gupte:No stupid, I will just put another rubber band. Its to keep the joining intact

Me (Sighing):Whatever. You scared the hell out of me

And so the ordeal was over in 45 minutes. Dr Gupte gave me another appointment for the front tooth cavity the next day but that experience was much better and easier for various reasons. We got along well as he told me that I was much braver than many others who create a scene at his clinic by holding his hand and kicking him at all the wrong places whenever it hurts them bad. And he also mentioned, in passing, that I was good looking. (I am a Leo so cant help some bragging.) Yould like Dr Gupte if you get a chance of meeting him although its something you should wish against!

10 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Humorous way of writing ... to display the pain.. or am I turning to be a saddist!!

Well done once again... :)crisp and sweet....

Anonymous said...

hehehhe:)gud one.. I feel worse going to dentist even though for me it a periodic ritual...the one in bhopal this time was MAD!

Anonymous said...

kicking him at all the wrong places
Hahahaha


Ankit

Anonymous said...

:D :D :D...

plz add few more of them

Goodone!

Apoorva said...

can totally identify with this.. thats why i brush twice daily ;)

Refer a poem called 'This is going to hurt just a little bit' by Ogden Nash.. Keep up the good work!!

Nishant said...

Talk abt artistic liberty! ;)
Visiting a dentist isn't all that bad yaar! But ur this entry was a gud one!

priya said...

this was great...humorous,

the description couldn't be better

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha.. interesting!!! loved the way you described it..

Unknown said...

hey nice one man, good humour

Anonymous said...

hahaha....cant stop laughing...tooo gud..:):)
n funniest was 'jealous of handsome looking men in their 20’s'...u sure,he complimented u or someone else..:P:P