Friday, December 01, 2017

Is it so hard to feel
Even when pride puts on my lips a seal
And anger makes me turn my back on you
That I cried myself to sleep, and I still do?

The night wind carries your whispered gloom
To a dim corner of my dark, dark room
But I've locked myself in, you see
And forgotten where I put the key

Rage makes me seek a new face
But Love still pines for an unforgotten grace
That wove my dreams and mellowed my days
And brought them closer in a hallowed haze

But now my heart has hardened to stone
And grief turned my tongue to bone
Even when I move my lips to pray
"I am sorry" I cannot say

My hands reach out in the dark night
I grab at nothingness, I despair of sight
And I hear my silent, tearful pleas
Echoed in the mocking, haunted trees

And this shall be my punishment and my jail
To love and let nothing tell the tale
To be sorry and still in quiet regret burn
To be loved yet be unable to love in return

The seeking hands will wither away
The beseeching eyes shall close some day
Dust will mercifully dry my tears
The shroud will save me from nameless fears

Will I find peace in the embrace of the grave
Will the Master accept a wayward slave
Or, finally, in non-being go I and my trust
Ashes to ashes, dust unto dust...

No comments: